Thursday 2 July 2015

Elizabeth Haynes - Under a Silent Moon


After falling in love with Elizabeth Haynes' Into the Darkest Corner, I had to try another of her books.  After a quick scroll through Amazon, I ended up with Under a Silent Moon on my kindle.

In the crisp early morning hours, the police are called to a suspected murder at a farm outside a small English village. A beautiful young woman has been found dead, blood all over the cottage she lived in. At the same time, police respond to a reported female suicide, where a car has fallen into a local quarry. 

As DCI Louisa Smith and her team gather the evidence, they discover a link between these two women, a link which has sealed their dreadful fate one cold night, under a silent moon. 
After a few pages, I was hooked.  The story is written over a six day time period, but looking back it's hard to believe - so much is packed into that amount of time! Haynes was up to her old tricks - the characters are easy to relate to and the twists and turns in the plot suck you right in.  I am loving reading about female detective inspectors lately, and Louisa Smith is killing it in this story, solving two murders simultaneously.  Again, I didn't see the outcome while I was reading the rest of the story which I love - I couldn't put it down and I couldn't figure it out.

The story has a lot of realistic police evidence and documentation which makes it even more easy to get sucked into the story.  These documents made me suspect pretty much every single character at some point, and kept me guessing.  There are none of those dreaded boring bits - every time you turn the page it feels like something else interests you.  If you like a murder/crime story, give this a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment