Wednesday 25 June 2014

Oily Skin Saviours


As you might know, I'm currently on holiday in the south of France.  If you've read Lillies and Lipbalm for a while, you'll know how oily my skin is, and how much I hate it in the British climate - you can only imagine what it's like while I'm abroad! I'd love to be able to wear dewy foundations and skip primer but it just isn't an option for me.  I haven't quite mastered banishing shine completely, but I've found a little line up of products which are really helping me prolong a matte finish.


Firstly, skincare - La Roche Posay are by far the best brand I've found for oily skin, especially their Effaclar range which targets oily spot-prone skin.  I use Effaclar Duo+ every morning under my make up which helps fight breakouts, fade scarring and quickly sinks into the skin leaving a matte canvas.  The Effaclar H moisturiser is my night-time source of moisture which is rich and hydrating without leaving a gross film on my skin or making my skin any greasier.  Although it isn't in the picture, I love the Effaclar M moisturiser in the mornings too, it sinks in so quickly which is perfect when you're in a rush.

Primer is a must-have for oily-skinned beauties and the most effective one I've found is MAC Prep+Prime Skin Refine Zone.  It dries super fast and feels really lightweight - no weird silicone layer here!  It doesn't banish shine all day long on my super oily skin, but it does a pretty good job.  I'm desperate to try the new Illamasqua Matte Veil, I've heard amazing things.

When it comes to foundation, something mattifying is vital.  Although Estee Lauder Double Wear is a bit heavy and there is a danger of it looking cakey, it's the best I've found for oil control.  I find if you apply it with a wet beauty blender, it leaves a much more natural finish.  I'm wondering if Double Wear Light would be a better choice? Powder comes next - I use it to set my make-up and re-touch throughout the day.  I'm currently using the Seventeen Miracle Matte Loose Powder which is pretty good, but I know there's something better out there - I'd love any recommendations?

Lastly, I recently picked up the Urban Decay De-Slick setting spray which does a good job of making my make-up look a little less powdery and controlling oil production.  If I'm honest, I was hoping it would banish shine completely, but it definitely doesn't, although I am really enjoying using it.

Although I haven't quite mastered oily skin, I'm well on my way.  I've got my eye on Illamasqua Matte Veil, Estee Lauder Double Wear Light and a more impressive powder to add to my line up.  What do you do to banish shine?

2 comments:

  1. I feel ya, girl. I've been on the hunt for a good primer ever since I was dissatisfied with Hourglass', and I'm currently testing out the Illamasqua Matte Veil and Murad's mattifier. I have to say, the Matte Veil is pretty decent at controlling oil!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been testing out matte veil too - its LOVE x

      Delete