Thursday 7 May 2015

Lucy Christopher: Stolen


Lately I can't get enough of a good thriller, and although this story was unlike anything I'd ever read, the endless 5-star reviews were enough to tempt me.

Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist \- almost.

The story is written in the form of a letter from Gemma, the main character, to Ty - the man who kidnapped her and took her half way across the world to the Australian outback.  

Gemma was the first thing to intrigue me - she's such a real character.  She has emotions and feelings like any other 16-year-old which makes her so much easier to understand.  She's confused, frightened, flattered, strong and open with the reader - nothing is hidden here.  Over time, she seems to develop feelings for her unusual captor.  Ty is by far the most confusing character I've ever read about, I still can't make up my mind whether I love him or hate him.  I love the setting of this story - the Australian desert is written as a beautifully dangerous place which intrigued me even more.

I've never read anything by this author before but it wont be my last.  You know it's a good story when you're still thinking about it after you finish reading it - I definitely recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment